Most people have a mole somewhere on their body. Moles are small spots on the skin that are usually black, brown or flesh colored but they can also be tan, red or pink. Moles are either round, flat or slightly raised and exist with or without hair follicles. Moles form due to a collection of melanocytes which are the cells that produce pigment or melanin. Most moles are benign or non-cancerous. Benign moles are only one color and remain the same in size and shape. Getting rid of mole doesn’t have to involve surgery as there are some natural ways to remove moles.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is used in home remedies for a variety of ailments including the treatment of scars. It is also very popular for mole removal due to its acid content. Apple cider vinegar slowly burns the mole which causes it to scab over and eventually fall off. Apple cider vinegar is also known for its anti-bacterial properties which protect the treatment area from secondary infections. It can be harsh to the skin so, if an irritation occurs to the surrounding skin, discontinue treatment. Don’t be alarmed if the condition of the mole looks worse in the first few days because it will get better.
- Apply a little petroleum jelly to the skin surrounding the mole (for protection)
- Dip a cotton ball in the ACV and place it on the mole
- Use gauze and medical tape to hold it in place for 1 hour
- Repeat for 10 days which should be enough time for the mole to fall off
- To make the process faster, use an emery board to gently scrape the mole and then apply the ACV until the mole turns white and then allow it to dry naturally
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil works well for moles that are slightly raised with a shallow root. Like apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil is proven to have anti-bacterial properties to protect the skin. However, tea tree oil can be harsh and some people may be sensitive or allergic to it. Therefore, it is best to test this remedy on a small part of the skin. Minor stinging that goes away in a few seconds is natural but a persistent burning sensation is not.
- Dip a Q-tip in tea tree oil and gently apply it to your mole
- Apply an adhesive bandage over the area for 1 hour and then remove
- Repeat twice a day for about a month
Iodine is known to cause cell death and “kill” a mole. The area to be treated should be washed with lukewarm water and patted dry before applying iodine.
- Gently scratch the surface of the mole with an emery board
- Protect the surrounding skin from the possibility of pigmentation by applying a little petroleum jelly
- Apply 1 drop of iodine directly on the mole
- Cover the mole with gauze and medical tape or adhesive tapes
- Repeat each day to eliminate the mole within a couple weeks
Garlic has been used for various medicinal purposes as it contains enzymes that can break down anomalous cell structures which formed the mole. For this treatment, fresh garlic is needed instead of dried garlic. This treatment works the best just before bed.
- Slice a clove of garlic in half or just a piece
- Apply the cut-side of the garlic onto the mole and secure it with medical tape
- Leave the garlic in place overnight
- Repeat this process each night to remove a mole within a few weeks
Castor oil works well to remove several types of skin blemishes such as moles, warts and skin tags. Castor oil is known to be a dissolvent so it has the ability to eliminate skin growths. It can take some time to eliminate the growth since castor oil takes the layers off one at a time. This treatment for removing moles is commonly used on areas such as the face since it has less chance of scars than others. Note: This method can be used with or without baking soda.
- Mix a few drops of castor oil with a pinch of baking soda
- Gently rub this mixture onto the mole
- Allow this mixture to stay on the growth until it dries
- Repeat twice a day for about a month
Although it may seem strange, using a banana peel to rid the body of a mole is considered very effective. Banana peels contain numerous enzymes which can dry out a mole and cause it to eventually fall off. For best results, use a ripe banana peel.
- Cut off a piece of the banana peel and scrape the inside of the peel
- Place the inside of the peel on the mole with the yellow skin facing outward
- Use adhesive bandages or medical tape to hold it in place
- Leave the banana peel on for 1 hour
- Repeat each day for a few weeks